Sunday, March 26, 2006

Clocks Go Forward

I just realised it was today last year I started this. There must be something about this time of year for me...maybe the promise of more daytime. More time to do what I want and need to do. My first post was like a New Year's Resolution and I think I have kept to it but just haven't recorded my endeavours.I hope this year will be better. I can only try. Thats all any of us can do.

This time of year I feel more hope. I used to think, like others that conditions such as SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)meant that this time of year would mean less depression, therefore less suicide, but I was wrong. This time of year there is an increase which peaks in May and drops to a low in mid-winter. It is thought that this is because we are 'dormant' that time of year, nothing is expected of us but in spring it is a time of action or growth, this is when people try to change. It may be why I started this blog this time last year and am again drawn to it now. I worry though about the people who won't make it this year.

So we choose to show charm
A facade hiding the broken
Inside we choose self harm
For the pain that is unspoken

And if we are young Americans
More of us will decide on suicide
Than have our lives taken
By others in homicide

Who says European traffic
Kill less than our own hands
2001 world war and homicide
Left more alive than suicide sands

Sands of time can last
But we have to have ways
To protect the breaking hour glass
And keep intact our living days

Every three seconds someone in the world tries to take their life…every forty seconds someone succeeds. (ref)

World Health Organization (WHO)Information
More WHO Information

BEFRIENDERS: WILL LISTEN!
If you need help or you know someone who does
http://www.befrienders.org/

Rudiment of Wisom Guide to Suicide

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home