Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Mayor & London Citizens

I could have gone to my first ever salsa class but instead went to the Westminster Methodist Central Hall with Thomas and the Nicks and various represententatives from the Stepney & Stratford contingent to a London Citizens conference with the four main Mayoral Candidates, who I like to call Brian, Sian, Ken & Boris (seated to the left in the same order in the picture below).

It was great to see 2500 + people interested in London politics and interested enough to pay to become members of London Citizens and then turn up to such events.

I got to know the candidates better and would probably vote for Sian (Green Party) if there wasn't the possibility that Boris could get in if I didn't vote for Ken. But both Ken and Sian answered questions well but without trying to fluff over areas they didn't want to touch on (like Boris) or use cop outs like 'I'll try' (like Brian).

The whole even was, in the main, very good natured. Booing of Boris was frowned upon and it was agreed it would not continue and there was very little heckling. I have to admit that I was not able to resist the temptation. Boris was going on about variations of how under him the wealth would be given from the rich to the poor...that the wealthy this and the wealthy that...and gave in on the third 'and the wealthy' to add 'like you!'

It could have been worse. I was asked so many times by the Boris minions to 'Vote Boris' I decided I needed a good reply to ensure they understood how unlikely it was that I would ever envisage voting for Boris. I waited in vain for just one more person to ask me to 'Vote Boris' so that I could say, 'I'd rather eat my own vomit.' Its not very eloquent but I felt it had the flavour of how I felt on the matter.

Don't forget to vote on May 1st!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home