Friday, June 02, 2006

A Random Question

I am sitting in the car park waiting. I sit on the kerb catching the rare May sun. I see M comes out to smoke a cigarette. We acknowledge each other. There is silence. Then M asks me if I'd like to go to a monastry. I say I would, it would be calm and quiet there. M smokes his cigarette and comments to the passerby who has just parked their car that they wouldn't be a very good pilot. They agree.

Sometimes people don't have to know you or even be on the same page as you to make sense. I talk to over a hundred people a week, never knowing what the week will bring and however much I love my job I sometimes dearly wish for the opposite - a quiet ordered society like a monastery with its ability to be self sufficent, self governing and its use only of what is necessary as in a commune like a monastery.

commune: Internationally recognized researcher of the history of communes and kibbutz member, Prof. Yaacov Oved, defined the term as "an autonomous community whose members have agreed, by free choice, to live a life of sharing by the principle 'from each according to his ability, to each according to his need' .

As mentioned in previous post re. Animal Farm where 'everyone worked according to his capacity'.

FAQs on C0mmunes

1 Comments:

At 22/7/06 6:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home