Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Marching for Peace

Whenever there is an anti-war march in London I march. Sometimes I think there aren't enough marchs. Sometimes I think, like other people, 'What's the point?' Sometimes I think that its only a drop in the ocean of what I should be doing.

A third of the world is at war. That's 2 in every 3 of us who are very lucky and could appreciate that fact and do something about the other 1.

Saturday August the 5th more than 100,000 people including myself protested about some of the wars in the world.

Taking over the streets of London still has a powerful effect on me no matter how often I do it. The school walk-outs of 2003, in protest against the invasion of Iraq, were particularly inspiring because of the great youth presence which went against unwarranted media suggestions that this group was apathethic.

On Saturday I saw children's shoes piling up at the Cenotaph near Downing Street, in protest at the deaths of children in the conflict in the Lebanon.

What is the point? The same point that anyone made when marching to protest against an injustice whatever it is, whether relating to issues such as sufferage, civil rights, racism or poverty, the story is still the same.

Whatever the wrong, making people aware of its existence is the first step...after that comes possible political change...and then real change can happen.

Other people do other far greater deeds to change the world and make it a better, more peaceful place. However, great or small actions, even those as seemingly insignificant as a conversation about an issue can make a difference, all count towards making the world a better place. I march for peace, that's what I do.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11/8/06 2:04 pm, Blogger Thomas said...

arrrrrrrrr!

i wish i was there to march!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home